Mini Chicken Pot Pies!
|March 26, 2014||Posted by Sarah under Recipes|
I have to admit that when I received The Personal Pie maker for my birthday, I thought it was an odd gift (sorry Dad!). But after some rave reviews and a flip through my new mini pie cookbook, I figured this could be fun…and fattening 🙂 Armed with leftovers from a roast chicken and some veggies, I set off to make one of my favorite comfort foods…Chicken Pot Pie!
I combined all the ingredients with a basic sauce of butter, flour and milk to create the filling for the pies. This only took about 15 minutes to make and was probably the most complicated thing about the whole process! Next I used store bought pie dough and puff pastry (told ya it was fattening!) and cut out the tops and bottoms of the pies using the handy dandy cutter that came with the pie maker.
Look they fit perfectly in there…
After filling the pies and topping them with puff pastry, I closed the top and crossed my fingers. 7 minutes later they looks like this:
Can you believe how incredibly cute these are?!? Not only are they cute, but they the smell and taste DELICIOUS!
As much as I now want to make pies out of everything, I will need to control myself because I will easily gain 10 pounds a month if I stayed on that track. But this is a super easy way to utilize leftovers and you can bet that I will be impressing my friends with some fancy pies! Savory pies, sweet pies…the possibilities are endless!
- 1/4 cup cooked carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup cooked potatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2/3 cup cooked chicken, diced
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 9" round pie crust (store-bought is fine)
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough (store-bought is fine)
- Cook potatoes in simmering, salted water for 8 minutes. After 3 minutes of cooking, add the carrots for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Sautee onions in butter over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and Worcestershire Sauce and cook for 2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add carrots, potatoes, chicken and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- On a floured surface, cut pie crust into 4 large rounds and the puff pastry into 4 small rounds.
- Fit crust into pie maker.
- Divide the filling equally and fill the crusts.
- Top the pies with the puff pastry rounds.
- Close pie maker and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Begin checking the pies after 7 minutes for doneness.